Monday, August 12, 2013

Local Store Review: Baby Cotton Bottoms

Group member Dorinda B. is an self-described "avid customer" of Baby Cotton Bottoms.  Here she shares her review on what makes this local store so great!
Baby Cotton Bottoms (BCB) is a small, mama-owned business in old Colorado Springs. They are well stocked with cloth diapers and diapering accessories, but also carry a wide variety of other items including natural sunscreen and diaper lotions, soft structured baby carriers and wraps, nursing bras and necklaces, swaddle wraps, and toys.  BCB also hosts a variety of classes (informational, Mama and Me Yoga, cloth diapering) and mama meet-ups at the store.

The store works hard to support other small businesses (especially US-based ones). Even though they are a physical store, their prices (especially diapers, wet bags, and carriers) are extremely competitive with online stores.  BCB knows and loves their customers and bends over backwards to help.

Here's my story:  I was seven months pregnant with our first child when I started exploring Baby Cotton Bottoms.  I planned on cloth diapering, but didn't know where to begin.  I just knew things had changed a lot since I used Curety flats and Gerber plastic covers on my younger siblings.

"What do I need to get started?" I asked.  How many diapers?  How many covers?  And the staff started showing me my options. Part way through the explanations, I mentioned that some friends had handed down some cloth diapers to me, but I had no clue what those diapers were or how to use them.

"Bring them in!  We'll help you!" they said.

I scurried out to the van and brought in the box.  The staff gathered around and excitedly started going through the hand-me-downs.  Worn Kissaluvs, assorted homemade fitteds, and hand-made woolies were all exclaimed over and explained.

"You're set!" said the ladies.  "You just need a few covers to go with these."

I walked out with three covers, wet bag, a bottle of diaper detergent, and a great respect for a store that was more concerned about helping me than they were about making money off me.

The customer service has continued to be exceptional.  They helped me (after store hours!) learn how to wrap my seven day old in my Moby.  They welcomed my husband and me with our 40 pound hiking backpacks as we tried on soft structured carriers to find out which one would work best for hiking into the backcountry.  They custom-ordered diapers and toys for me and shipped them when I couldn't make it to the store for two months.

Curious as to which baby carrier will work for you AND your broad-shouldered husband?  Try them all on without having to purchase and re-sell.  Wondering about AIOs and pockets and AI2s and fitteds?  Want to see the difference between the Freetime and the Elemental? Stop by.  Put your hands on the products.  Get the expertise.  See and feel and know what you need.  And forgetting waiting for the fluff mail to arrive -- shop local!

1 comment:

  1. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me, 
    and I am completely satisfied with your website. 
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….

    ReplyDelete